- Orangesicle Anyone? – Tangerine, orange, apricot..whichever you choose to see it or call it, this bright color and it’s family of hues is perfect for all skin tones and even better during the Summer months. There’s just something about orange that is dominating both the furniture market and the fabric world. You have the right to go small with an accessory or go big with an orange dress. Whichever you choose, you can’t go wrong.
- Floral Print – Make sure the flowers on the dining table aren’t the only budding beauties in the house. Make sure a few bright florals get into your closet too! There’s nothing more feminine (refer to #6) than pretty flowers next to your skin.
- Tribal Print– Totally in, totally fun and very natural. To get the tribal look, layer graphic patterns in bold colors mixed with earth tones. Add wood accessories and wooden wedge sandals to complete the look. You’ll look good and feel like a global traveller without paying the extra luggage fees.
- Black and White – Simple, easy and right from your closet. We all have something white and we all have something black. Put them together and voila, a new updated outfit that’s bound to get you attention. Want something new. Instead of color blocking the two colors, purchase a dress, top or blazer with contrasting stripes or patterns.
- Sporty– A subject close to every moms heart. Whether we like to or not, there are times we have to dress sporty to be comfortable and to keep up with those quick little ones. This time, skip the back yoga pants (yes, I am guilty of it too) and wear something part sport and part couture. How you ask? Shimmery anoraks, brightly colored tennies, preppy tennis vests and chic utilitarian dresses are all game.
- Ultra Feminine – Need I say more? Ok, I can’t help it. To be honest, men like feminine and when we are honest with ourselves we do too! Don’t be afraid to wear soft feminine fabrics that flow in the wind and make your skin swoon at every touch. Be sure to choose fabrics that are accentuated with ruffles, layers and delicate embellishments. Pastels are always feminine and soft looking, but you can also go bright and colorful too following some of the print rules on this list. The key is, if YOU feel feminine in what you are wearing, then it’s the right choice.
- GeometricPattern– First we tell you to color block with solids and now we tell you to wear a loud geometric pattern. Both are hot trends and acceptable for any occasion, just make sure you’re feeling comfortable being loud. I guarantee, it will be the only time others compliment your decision.
- Color Blocking – As mentioned above, COLOR BLOCKING is HOT! I’ve been blogging about color blocking for the last six months. It’s fun, it’s free and it’s very easy to do. Choose two or three colors that compliment each other and compliment your mood and go with it! This is a trend that you can’t screw up and will always turn out right as long as you stick to the two-three color rule. Going beyond three colors may look like a hot mess if you’re not careful.
- Accessories – Always, always, always wear at least one accessory. Try a flower in your hair, a statement necklace, a floppy sun hat or a wrist full of colorful bangles. Accessories complete the outfit and are a fun way to express your personal style.
- Fresh Face – Summer is the time to lighten up the make up. But, if you’re one to still where it during the warmer months (guilty as charged and I don’t deny it) there are many fun make up trends out there for everyone. Wearing pastels will go right along with must haves #1, #2, #6 & #8. But, honestly pastels are always accepted. Pastels are for those who embrace their femininity, They can be worn on the heavy side or the light side. Either way, the soft colors add a soft touch to your natural beauty. Second, color block your make up. Yes, I’m at it again. Try wearing a bright blue shadow on the lid and a red lipstick on the lip. Too much? Try a bright pink shadow on the lid and a tangerine gloss on the lips. Don’t forget, your nails can play this game too! Many color blocking looks flow over to fun manicures too which help tie in the entire look all together. Lastly, a clean face is loved by anyone. If you are better off “all naturale” don’t forget the basics; concealer, mascara, lipstick (with spf) and bronzer.
Photo – Neiman Marcus for Fashion in Detroit 2012, taken by Tatijana Kunik
Shannon Lazovski is the CEO of Glamorous Moms LLC, editor and owner of glamorousmoms.com, detroitfashionnews.com, is a MichMoms blogger for the Detroit News, the founder of Detroit Mom Bloggers; a mom blogger network in the Metro Detroit area. She is a blogger, fashion/beauty/image consultant and a social media community manager. She loves to collect jewelry, handbags and heels (typically the higher the better) and cannot get enough when it comes to the subjects of beauty and fashion.