How to Build a Killer LinkedIn Profile
LinkedIn is the world’s largest digital professional network and if you don’t have an up-to-date LinkedIn profile, it may be hurting your career.
LinkedIn was made to “connect the world’s professionals to make them more productive and successful.” Many people have their favorite social media profiles whether it be Instagram, Facebook, or TikTok but those in the professional world, in my opinion, must have a LinkedIn profile and they must take it seriously.
LinkedIn is an excellent resource for those who want o network online, search for a job, connect with others in a like-minded field, and even display their impressive resumes for future opportunities.
Here are a few things you need to focus on when creating your LinkedIn profile:
- Professionals must have a professional photo. No half-naked selfies and no pictures of your pets.
- Add a serious and relatable tagline. No jokes please such as “Leader of the Messy Jones Family.”
- Add your summary in 1st person not third.
- List your dates, organizations, and school names accurately.
- Don’t lie or embellish your summary. Write your summary with facts and from the heart.
- Don’t just connect with women if you’re a man, and don’t just connect with men if you’re a woman. There are other apps and online services for that behavior.
- Double-check grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Refrain from using swear words and obnoxious phrases.
Steps you need to take to write a killer LinkedIn summary:
- Tell your story in an honest voice.
- Give a background of your experience.
- Highlight accomplishments.
- Use keywords throughout.
- Do include a professional email for others to contact you.
There you go! Once you have a complete and accurate LinkedIn profile, you can print it out for resume use and even use it as a resume on many websites.